Wednesday, July 09, 2003

What movies make you cry? If I try to name some of the ones that have caused me to shed a tear or two, it's hard. I know there's movies I've cried at. There's way more that I've laughed at, but that is neither here nor there.
Trying to come up with some movie that have made me cry, a few obvious ones come to mind. Titanic, but not for the obvious reasons. I cry when the old couple is holding one another as the water rushes in to their room on the ship. And I cry when the Irish lady is reading a story to her kids as the ship is sinking. Not when Leo dies, because hey Kate Winslet, why not let him have a turn on the fun piece of door or whatever. Would it have killed you to share that thing, like switch off maybe? I guess you'd rather kill DiCaprio. SELFISH!
Another one is A.I., which I did not expect to cry at, but there I was, pretending to have "something caught in my eye" when David sees his mom again before he dies. Sniffles. The opening scene to Tarzan gets me all choked up too. Watching as the baby gorilla gets killed right in front of his mother, and seeing her be all depressed kills me. Plus the magical music of Mr. Phil "Sue-Suedeo" Collins is enough to make anyone cry.
But there is one movie that is not such an obvious choice, which anyone besides Lisa just doesn't understand. That movie is "Popeye"starring Robin Williams and Shelley Duvall. It is a classic to me, a childhood favorite, next to Jaws. Growing up near the Atlantic Ocean, I was convinced this movie took place in Atlantic Highlands, a nearby small town right on the water full of hills and little old houses and docks that stink like dead fish. I still know the words to all the songs, and I remember when my mom would take me with her to the bank to get a free lollipop with her financial transaction, where the hell was Olive Oyl's house? This movie is all good times and nostalgia for me, UNTIL Sweet Pea gets kidnapped. Gasp!!!!! I believe it is right after Popeye punches out the tax man and throws him in the ocean, that the whole town comes out to celebrate. People are cheering and lifting Popeye up, so Wimpy offers to hold onto Sweet Pea(played by the cutest baby I've ever seen, by the way). Anyway, Wimpy runs away with Sweet Pea, and trades him to Big old villain Bluto for some hamburgers. Bluto wants the baby because he has the ability to pick winning race horses by whistling at them. (This all makes perfect sense when you're a kid!)
Popeye starts frantically screaming and searching for Sweet Pea, but to no avail, so he writes a letter to the babe and puts it in a baby bottle and floats it out to sea. This is by far one of the most devastating movies scenes in history to me. Hearing Popeye lazily mumbling aloud his letter to Sweet Pea, set to a big, sweeping orchestration and throwing the baby bottle into the water is very sad. But what I can't take is during the closing instrumentals of the song, we see the bottle floating along in the water and the camera pans up to the baby's face staring out a little circular window on a boat, crying. He looks at a sleeping, snoring Bluto, and chews on his fingers, his face streaked with tears, and says in his saddest little baby voice, "Popeye".
Holy shit, it's tearing me up right now and I'm not even watching the movie. I gotta stop now. Where's da tissues?

No comments: