Thursday, July 24, 2003

Do they wear kilts in Ireland? I know they rock them in Scotland as part of their traditional costume, but I don't know if they wear them in both Scotland and Ireland. The reason I'm asking is because of these guys that Kane and I saw at a bar last night. We were there for his niece's birthday, and she has a pretty large group of friends, so it was in a closed-off section of the bar. Most of her friends are cut from the same mold, early 20's, sloppy, spikey headed, too cool for school types. I'm sure you've seen them in any local mall parking lot, or sitting behind you at a movie theater, kicking your chair and regaling tales of Steve-O throughout the film. So punk rock everyone my age is nowadays!!
Anyway, in the middle of this crowd sitting at their own table are three guys who don't quite fit the scene. They are all wearing matching plaid kilts, knee high socks and electric green t-shirts with IRELAND stamped across the front in glowing white letters. They all look like jocks. Two of them are really big guys, the kind that try to pass off fat for muscle, and the third is a really short, stocky guy with 80's hair that is shaved underneath and longish on top, and coated in a thick layer of hair gel for that oh-so-greasy effect. They didn't seem to know anybody there, and I kept wondering what their story was, and if they missed the big sign the waitress put up saying this sections was reserved for a party. I leaned over to Kane and whispered,"what's the deal with those guys?" and he said "I think they're a band." Of course! A band, one of those edgy, makin' a statement groups. OKAY!
So the party went on, and everybody was drinking and we had birthday cake and everything, and these guys were eatin' that shit up. The cake, I mean! Finally around 11:00 we decided to head out. So we get in the car and start to drive home and I asked Kane, "So what band were those kilt guys in?"
Kane:"Kilt guys?"
Me:"Yeah, the ones sitting right by us?"
K:"They weren't the band, the table in the corner was the band."
(I dimly recall a table full of dark-clothed skate punks in the back corner.)
Me:"Oh. Well then who were the kilt guys?"
K:"I have no idea! I was wondering who invited them!!"
So I think maybe it was one of those cases where someone must have been like, "Who are your friends?" and someone else went,"My friends? I thought they were with you!".
But in any case, I think they ate all the cake, that's my point!

No comments: