Tuesday, January 03, 2006

So my bosses are building a new store, and today they broke ground. I hate that term, "broke ground". They didn't break any ground really, they mainly just tore down the little work shop we had out behind the store. It was kinda sweet in the sense that it was completely demolished in front of our eyes and digital cameras, but also kind of sad, because I love the cozy little old building we're in now, and I'm going ot be very sad to see it go. The new store will be built on the lot behind out current one, and our current store will be levelled and made into a parking lot. Our store is one of the oldest remining buildings in Old Town Scottsdale, where everything is renovated and modernized. (Ironic, isn't it!) Some things are made to look old sort of, so I guess 2 points for tryin'. But I guess the city has complained that our building is an "eyesore" and that it doesn't fit in to the area. Probably because it isn't stucco and painted desert peach with a fucking Kokopelli on the side of it. Our building is so cute and cozy, with old iron gates and climbing ivy and christmas lights all year long. It is surrounded by trees and bouganvilla and is home to 4 stray kitties who have adopted us.
Anyway, today being the first step towards a new store, everyone stood outside and watched the little workshop be smashed to rubble by a guy in a bulldozer. Lauren and I laughed because the guy driving the bulldozer had a cigarette hanging off his lip the whole time he took the place down. Maybe it feels so much cooler that way. That's probably how I'd do it. Shot of whisky, light a cigarette, then announce "Let's do this." and take the place down. Afterwards, I'd go to Hooters for lunch. See if they have a "Demolition Special" or something.

2 comments:

Lanie said...

That sucks. I hate it when cities decide new is better than old...

Lisa Armsweat said...

Demolition Children ruin everything. One time, Demolition Children crashed my birthday party and threw all the strawberry cake on the floor and stomped on it.

Oh, wait. No. That was Nazis.

I get confused.