Monday, January 09, 2006

Tonight I remembered something as Kane and I were traveling home from our lovely dinner at Cracker Barrel. Which was delicious, in case you were wondering.
Anyway, I am very fuzzy on the dates and location, but here's the story. My family went on a camping trip to upstate NY, sometime around 92 or 93, which makes me about 13. So we drove the 7 hours to upstate New York, towing our pop-up camper behind our trusty blue station wagon. We made up there, and the four of us set up camp at a KAO campground and prepared ourselves for a week of fun and laughter. So Lisa had this boyfriend st the time, Steve. She and Steve were pretty much inseperable, and after we had been camping for oh, say 4 hours, Lisa began to miss Steve somethin' fierce. She sulked, and called him on the pay phone up at the KOA lodge, and sulked a little more. After only a few days, she was so sad and miserable, that old Steve got on a train and came all the way up to where we were camping so he could stay with us the rest of the week. I took this as a complete personal rejection. Lisa and I had always been partners through all of these kinds of trips, laughing at dad's fart jokes, laughing at mom's narrations as she filmed prime tourist attractions with the video camera, laughing at passersby and funny statues and names of things, just mainly laughing in general. She was my comrade, and now I was left alone with my parents, ditched, while Lisa and Steve had a grand old time. Not that I didn't like Steve, and I knew they weren't gonna exclude me completely, but I still felt betrayed. So what does a 13 year old Trish do, when left to her own devices after being abandoned by her best friend? A few minutes after Steve got there, I walked on over to the campground general store and bought myself a little can of Kraft Grated Parmesan Cheese, and ate the whole thing. I sat on a picnic table out in front of the store, and methodically poured grated cheese into the palm of my hand, and dipped my finger into it and ate it. I don't remember anything after that about that trip. But I remember how hard cheese made of cows milk became my new best buddy.
Hey, I never said this was gonna be a GOOD story.

8 comments:

Lanie said...

My little sister used to eat butter. She doesn't remember it and swears I'm lying. I have a very specific recollection of her getting herself a bowl of butter and sprinkling sugar on top and eating it with a spoon one time when I was babysitting her.

Lisa Armsweat said...

This revelation and long-forgotten memory doesn't surprise me. You have always liked eating things you can lick off your fingers.
Now can you please stop dippin' into the doody hole? Gah.

Little Silver Stars said...

Lani-Fun dip is one of my all time favorite candies!!!! I still buy it, but just for the record I still eat parmesan cheese like that too. Not a whole container, mind you. That's just stupid.
:)
Mel-Us little sisters like to try to block out the stupid things we did as children. Just be glad that we weren't born first and aren't currently tormenting you about some of the crazy stuff you did! That goes double for you, LISA.
Lisa-I'll tell you who's dippin' into the doody hole.....that guy Jason!! He's fishing around up there, looking for his lost car keys. Ewww! PooKeys!

mike said...

And now she isn't blogging anymore. The betrayal never ends!

Little Silver Stars said...

Mike, If you want, I got a new can of parmesan here. You want in on some of that? It helps sooth the sting a little.

Matthew said...

love the new background, Trish.

but your story, while hilarios, gave me a tummy ache just from reading about it.

cass said...

Hello Trish,
I read your post every day. Can I link you?

Little Silver Stars said...

Of course Cass! I don't know anyone from Australia, so that's rad. So G'day mate!! (Insert lame american cowboy joke here.)
:)