Wednesday, January 04, 2006


I was driving home from Lisa's tonight when "I Am What I Am" from the movie "Popeye" came on my player. Such amazing lyrics. They are seriously life-changing. I've gotten many of my life philosophies from this song, including," I ain't no physicisk, but I knows what matters..." and "To be or not to be, who's Aksing?!!" I think it's time to watch "Popeye" again. I have had a hard time watching this movie since moving to Arizona, because it reminds me so much of home. It's just a really New Jersey movie for me. It's one of my all time favorites though, and I can't deny my love for Sweet Pea, Wimpy and Bluto any more. And yes, I know I've written about this movie before. I just love it, okay??
I wonder if I lost my Dell Jukebox and someone found it, what would they think of me according to what's on my player? "Popeye" soundtrack, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer(only it's sung in German, and never stops being funny to me), Popcorn by Hot Butter, lots of Nine Inch Nails, The Heat Of The Moment by Asia, music from "Jesus Christ Superstar", Wesley Willis, and a lot of really old music from the 30's and 40's, plus more completely non-related stuff. Would they think I'm a total crazy person? Would they even know what half of this stuff is? What if they couldn't upload new music to my player, and they could only listen to what I have on there? Would they just throw it out, or would they actually listen, and maybe learn to love the soundtrack to "Cannibal! The Musical"? Hmmmm. These are questions that will never be answered, because if I lost my player I would never find out who found it, and their thoughts about me and my music. They would definitely know I was a girl though. I don't know too many guys who have songs from their old Cabbage Patch Kids record on their players.

I did a google search on Cabbage Patch Kids record, and I found this totally sweet picture of a CPK in SPACE! 3-2-1........BLASTOFF!!! (insert rocket sounds here)

6 comments:

Caroline said...

Ilove the Popeye movie! I wish Vh! would do some special and tell us what became of the actor who played Sweet Pea. He is probably in his early 20s or so. I also really liked the cartoon as a child. Sadly and ironically,in junior high because I was flat chested and thin, several people called me Olive Oyl. Who's laughing in the Cs now you jerks? Me baby, me! Sorry - surpressed junior high rage is pretty potent stuff!

Lanie said...

I had this awesome strawberry shortcake record, the kind with the pictures on the vinyl, I let someone in high school borrow it and never got it back. I still cry when I think about it.

Jen said...

You have the cabbage patch record? The one everyone put on a horrible dance show to and forced their parents to watch? With Raimie and that insipid Cybil Sadie? Um, I implore you to share. My Ipod is mostly filled with techno crap and Hold the Line by Toto. What I really want is Peter Cetera’s Glory of Love. Also a man who will fight for my honor.

Fraulein N said...

Okay, now you've got the only CPK song I know stuck in my head:

"Otis Lee, Otis Lee!
Got no hair
But he don't care,
Good old Otis Lee!"

Hee, thanks for that!

Little Silver Stars said...

"'I got myself a bulldog,
I got a load of friends.
Every day is so much fun,
I'm sorry when it ends!'
When you got a problem
he's the one you go to see!
Always ready, strong and steady, good old Otis Lee!"

Lisa Armsweat said...

"Cuz when a BunnyBee sees our enemies/He reports to the Queen of the BBB's/ She sends out the BBBs to ZING ZING ZING em!/ Then the enemy flees from the BBBs and the Queen is pleased with the victories/ She decrees the Bunny Bees should sing!
BUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZ..."

How many times, i wonder, did we scream this one out in the back of the station wagon? Or in the aisles of Target? It's the greatest song to scream.