Monday, September 08, 2003

When I was little I remember listening to the radio in the car on the way to school, and there was always a word that the DJ said that I didn't understand. I thought about it a lot back then when I was in 1st or 2nd grade, and it didn't make any sense. I was too embarassed to ask my mom or the teacher or anything, but when we learned about dictionaries, it was one of the first words I looked up. It wasn't in there. This continued to confuse me, but as I got older I forgot about it completely. Then about 3 or 4 years ago I was listening to the radio, and it all came flooding back to me. The DJ said,"...and that was the traffic report for today, stay tuned for sports and weather next.". So THAT'S what they've been saying all these years, not "weathernecks". I felt both totally proud that I had finally solved this conundrum, yet at the same time incredibly stupid because it took me that long to figure it out. I guess the only excuse I can think of is that the DJ's in Jersey on CBS.FM talk too goddamn fast and don't pronunciate clearly. So it's either that or I'm dumb. And for some reason in my youth I associated the term "weathernecks" with Rubbermaid garbage cans. I can't imagine why now, but it made sense back then.
Maybe I shouldn't have blogged about this. This is embarassing.

No comments: