Thursday, September 18, 2003

I just read Lisa's blog about Pennsylvania Dutch Country, and I just have to say that that was one of the worst family vacations we ever took, and that includes the time we stayed at a South Jersey campground totally infested with biting flies. It wasn't like we were fighting or anything like that, it was just so boring. Even our parents looked bored, it was so obvious they were faking interest in how quilts are made. We went on a tour of some house which was set up like a traditional Amish household, and I remember my dad saying just loud enough for us to hear,"I wonder where they go when they have to make a doody? (Insert fart noise here)", and my mom going, "Tssssss" (this is her noise of disapproval) as Lisa and I had the first genuine laugh since setting foot in Amish country.
I remember it was all grey and depressing outside when we went to that restaurant, and the food being so bad I can still taste it 15 years later. There was a huge bowl of peas in front of me and they were drenched in some unidentified gelatinous goo, and my mom kept telling me to try some. Ugh, regular peas are bad enough. Me and Lisa couldn't wait to go home and watch "Heathers" and daydream about hanging out with Christian Slater. Surely Christian Slater wouldn't be caught dead in Amish Country.
****This just in: ACTOR CHRISTIAN SLATER FOUND DEAD IN PENNSYLVANIA DUTCH AMISH COUNTRY. TWO GIRLS FROM NEW JERSEY MOURN THE STAR, WHO CHOKED ON A PIECE OF MAPLE LEAF CANDY WHILE ON TOUR OF OLD-TIMEY BARN.

No comments: