Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Am I the only person who saw that Bush's State of the Union address was on tv last night and changed the channel as quickly as possible? Look, I know I am supposed to care, but how the hell can I get into this stuff? It is sooooooo boring. It might be different if there were real people involved in politics, but all I see is suits, suits and suits. Even the ladies are in suits. These people live in another world, not in America. People in America don't wear suits even on the weekends, and act and speak so conservatively. Real people wear logo t-shirts and jeans and baseball hats and stuff, and they tell it like it is. Even if they have a vast knowledge of "college" words, they don't go throwing it around in everyone's face, like they are better than everyone else. And why don't any of these political people smile or anything? Sure, they give old Bushy the subdued, polite laugh when he tries to make a joke to appeal to the masses. But for the most part, I think if you want to appeal to the masses, you should be a part of us masses.
I wish politicians were more like my dad. My dad is a mechanic, and he's out there all day working his ass off and getting covered in grease and dirt, and trying his best to do his job. So if someone like my dad appeared on tv, wearing his navy blue work clothes, all tired from working all day, his old brown workboots covered in grease and oil stains, and said,"Listen, I've been doing my best to avoid it, but we're gonna have to send some troops over there. We've really gotta sort this shit out, so just be patient and know that everything's gonna be okay.", I'd be 100 times more likely to pay attention and really give a crap. This guy would be right in there, fighting along with everyone else, not having lived the priveledged life of George W. Bush. This guy wouldn't give it a second thought, he'd spend his money on helping America, not buying yet another grey suit and a private jet. I would trust him a lot more. Hell, I'd probably even vote, too. I'd vote for the guy who's been a farmer his whole life just like his father before him, who's son is over in Iraq. I'd vote for the female candidate in the green Christmas sweater with the white collar sewn on to it. She was at that church bazzaar last Sunday, she's been hearing some things, and she and her husband Ed and their cat, Scratches, are ready to do something about it. I'd rather hear what she has to say.
End of speech.

No comments: