Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Yesterday I had a really stressful day at work. All day I was pulled in a million (okay, maybe ten or eleven)different directions, and had to deal with a whole bunch of stupid shit all day. Problems galore. I left work around 5:15, and was going to go home and take a nice relaxing shower before I had to go to Lisa's house for the first read-through of the play we're directing. Anyway, when I get home Lisa calls me and asks if I wanted to go to Baja Fresh for dinner. That sounded good, much better than whatever Hot Pockets or Lean Cuisines I had in my freezer. So I decided to forget the shower and get food instead, cuz I was one hungry puppy. Arf Arf!!! So Lee picked me up and we drove over to the restaurant, and there was no parking anywhere. We circled the place, but then decided time was running short, we should probably just go somewhere else. Lisa suggested this new place, Rosati's that she and Tom had gotten pizza from, it was pretty good. So we drove on over there, each ordered baked ziti and a salad to go, and paid seperately. Then we waited. And waited. And then waited a little more. About 25 minutes goes by, and a guy comes out with one of the dinners and hands it to Lisa. I asked him where my dinner was, that we had ordered the same thing. The guy said that only one dinner was ordered, so I pulled out my reciept and gave it to him. (So THAT'S what receipts for food are for!). He went in the back to check, and was gone for like another 5-10 minutes. By this time, Lisa and I are really nervous because the read-through started at 7 and it was now 6:35. We still had to get back to her house and eat before people started arriving, so we had no more time to waste sitting in this dump. We went up to the counter and I asked for my money back, and that was another big production. I was so hungry and frustrated by this point, I was at that stage of hunger when you feel sort of nauseus. I just wanted to get out of there so bad. Finally I get my refund and the guy says,"Just give us a couple minutes, your dinner should be almost ready by now and you can have it for free."I told him I didn't want it anymore, we had no more time to wait, but he wouldn't take no for an answer and disappeared into the back again, with the other 10-15 people who were just sort of milling about back there. Lisa and I stood there for about 3 more minutes, then finally said"Fuck this!" and walked out. We got back to her house as fast as we could, and shared her dinner. And you know what? It was terrible baked ziti. The noodles were so overcooked they we like paste. Ugh. We ate what we could and threw the rest out, but we finished just in time for everyone to get there so that was good. I hate days like yesterday. I'm glad it's over with.
The read-through went really great, though. It sort of redeemed the whole day. Everyone did even better than we had expected, and all the actors have really good chemistry together. Thank you God, because after that crappy day, I was half expected someone at the readthrough to raise their hand and say, "Ummmm, I can't read.". Great.

No comments: