Monday, February 09, 2004

$2,500.00. That is a lot of money. With that kind of money, one could go on a pretty decent vacation, or pay off some credit card bills, or put it into savings towards their future. Guess what I have to do with $2,500.00? Pay the IRS.
I am monumentally pissed off about this. I should probably let you know that the only reason I owe this money is because I failed to pay my taxes from January 1st to July 31st of 2003. Why didn't I pay my taxes? Well, it seems someone forged my signature and filed a few forms to mark me "EXEMPT" from taxes. I have been working here for 4 years, and I've never changed a damn thing about my tax info, so I didn't think to start checking to make sure I was paying taxes. Why the hell would I do that, since I was under the stupid assumption that ONLY I had the power to change my personal tax information? Silly me. The other thing was, I got a raise at the beginning of last year, so suddenly having larger paychecks didn't raise a red flag for me. The only reason I caught it was because my job got a new bookkeeper who noticed that I hadn't paid a dime to Uncle Sam. She also told me that only about 5% of people in the U.S. are eligible for "Exempt" status, and that those who attempt to file for it without qualifiying get marked on their records for tax evasion. This mark can remain on file for about 7 years.
It's not that I can't get the money. I will definitely have to empty my savings, and cut a lot of corners, but I'm gonna make sure to pay it in full when I mail my taxes in. But it's just not fair, I had plans for that money. I was going to move to L.A. with Kane over the summer. And the worst part about this whole situation is the girl who did this was supposed to be my friend. Ouch.
Okay, end of tantrum. Whining is for bitches anyway.
Over the weekend, some random chain of events led me to seeing two episodes of "The Real World". If you've been reading my blog, you know that I don't like this show. These two episodes are the longest I've ever sat through that shit, and they confirmed why I hate people in my age group. In the course of one hour, I saw a 19-yr old girl get turned away at a club for trying to use a fake ID, I saw another girl violently punch some guy for teasing the 19 yr old, then get arrested for assault and cry her heavily lined eyes out about it, I saw a two drunken, belligerent frat guys acting like asses, one of whom got arrested for public drunkenness, and some punk-goth-dirty girl who has a boyfriend back home, drunkenly hook up with the drunk guy who did not get arrested. This girl (I didn't catch her name) then calls her boyfriend the next day sounding all guilty, claiming she can't remember anything that happened the night before, but denied hooking up with anyone. If you can't remember anything, how do you know? They broke up and the girl was sobbing uncontrollably. The 19 yr old was supporting her, saying how he's not worth it, which is good logic, considering he's not the one who cheated. The only person who made any goddamn sense on this show was the black guy with the glasses (didn't catch his name, either). He was the only one sober, and had to keep calling different jails and people's parents to try to get $8000 to bail the girl out of jail. But if he really had any sense, he'd pack up his shit and move out of that house, leaving all those drunk whiney babies to fend for themselves. Oh, there was also some asian girl there, who's main purpose it seemed was to stand around in a mini skirt, mouth agape, and say,"OH NO!" about everything.
Great show. Can't wait for "Real World: Philadelphia".

No comments: