Monday, February 28, 2005

Last night I had an Oscar party, which was fun even though the Oscars weren't. I made baked ziti and garlic bread, and Brianna and Robert brought a bunch of cookies and candy and beer. They also printed up some oscar ballots for us so we could predict who was going to win, and we had a 25 cent pool going to see who guessed the most winners. We're all really broke, but even so I probably wouldn't throw in more than a quarter over the stupid oscars anyway.
After watching this long, very boring show I just have one thing to say, and that is Chris Rock set black people back about 60 years. Now Mr. Rock, I am aware that your whole carreer is based on the differences between blacks and whites, and that's fine if it works for you, but the Oscars should merit just a little bit of class, don't you think? (Also, just for the record Chris, you're holding a microphone. You don't need to shout everything, asshole.) Chris Rock is not alone in unravelling racial equality though, whoever directed the Oscars also has to share the blame. Why was it that the only reaction shots they cut to while Chris Rock was stumbling over his lame jokes were of P. Diddy, Oprah, Spike Lee, Morgan Freeman, and Samuel L. Jackson? We were all joking that you could actually see Oprah shaking her head, thinking that she really had her work cut out for her this week to make up for this shit. And if that weren't bad enough, every time a hispanic person was on stage, they cut to Antonio Banderas, Salma Hayek, Penelope Cruz or Speedy Gonzalez. OK, maybe not the last one, but you know they really wanted to! Where is George Lopez when you need him?!
I'm just glad that Sideways didn't win anything. I don't know why but I have a personal problem with Paul Giamatti. I think he looks like he'd be a huge dick in real life. He kind of carries himself like he should be rewarded for just being his awesome independent-film self. But aside from that guy, it's a movie about drinking wine and golfing. Two things that pretty much guarantee that I won't like that movie. Yeah, I'm judging that book by it's cover, but ask me if I care. Answer: nope!
Oh, by the way, me and Jen tied for most correct guesses, and we split the pot, so that was, drumroll please.........$2.00 for each of us! Woo-hoo!! I am a high-roller. That's right, today I had chips AND a drink with my sub! Didn't even blink once when I ordered it. Well, maybe a little, but that was only to keep airborn dust out of my precious, lucky eyes.

7 comments:

kat said...

oh my god, you're hilarious. paul giamatti does sort of have that asshole quality about him, but at least it seems like normal-guy-asshole, not actor-asshole. i actually really liked sideways, but it sort of goes with his bitter image that he didnt even get nominated.
me & everyone i was watching with noticed the racial panning of the crowd too. very odd. like when chris rock was talking about shootings at the source awards? they focused on p. diddy immediately & he did not look amused.

Little Silver Stars said...

I'm glad someone gave Sideways a chance, but it wasn't gonna be me. Unless those bitches are talking about Boone's, I am not interested in their yuppy wine-humor!
OMG, I was cracking up when they showed P.Diddy scowling at the Source Awards joke!! How awkward. I hope they don't have Chris Rock host again, he tanked!

kat said...

i know. steve martin was the best host ever! im still confused about why they only let him host once...

Lisa Armsweat said...

I agree-- they need to have Steve Martin come back again. Maybe he didn't want to do it again or something because it's such a fucking long boring show.
I remember cracking up when Yo Yo Ma came out to play the music to go along with the Deaths This Year montage. We thought we heard a string break. That would have been awkward. And who were all those fucking agents and inventors and stuff that they showed? What about Sandra Dee, huh?

Paul said...

I got 10/24 right, how many did you get???

Little Silver Stars said...

I got 10 out of 24 too!
Most of the lesser-known categories I just picked whatever had the funniest name, so I didn't win any of those.

Paul said...

I know! I can't believe "Gopher Broke" didn't win.