Friday, January 07, 2005

This morning my alarm went off and the radio came on. And I don't know if I made this up since I was half-asleep, but I could've sworn I heard a song by John Mayer (it had to be John Mayer, it was all breathy and shitty and said something about "Fathers.......take care of your daaaaaauuuuuuughters..." in it) but then clips from news stories about the tsunami were added every few seconds. Someone please tell me that I dreamed this.
If by some chance I didn't dream it, then I hate John Fucking Mayer even more than I already did. (Here comes a rant, people.) I'm definitely all for helping out the tsunami victims, and raising money for them, but I think a song like that is completely inappropriate. I think there are 3 different categories that people fall into when some huge tragedy happens. There's the people who are very concerned and who anonymously donate whatever and whenever they can. These people generally want to help. Then there's people who only help out when people are there to actually see it, and want tons of credit for it. You can recognize these types of people because A., they're a celebrity or B., they're the guy in line in front of you at Blimpie who make a big show of putting 50 cents into the tip jar, and do it slowly, looking around to see if people are watching. Wow man, that's REAL big of you! And the last group is made up of the people who secretly get off on tragedy. They'd never admit it in a billion years, but they get kind of excited when something horrible happens. They can't wait to hear all the gory details and see pictures of people whose lives are destroyed, and put all the "UNITED WE STAND" and "9-11: WE WILL NEVER FORGET" bumper stickers on their cars. These are the people for whom stupid shallow rock stars prey upon to sell their gimmicky music in times of trouble. In fact, you're NOT a good american if you didn't buy Springsteen's album dedicated to the victims of 9-11. And wasn't it wonderful how 9-11 united everyone? So maybe the unthinkable happened and all these people suffered horrible painful deaths (did you see all those photos printed in Newsweek? I have my copy saved in a special dust-free jacket!), it was GREAT how everyone had flags on their cars and sent those poems and stories to everyone on email. In fact, I'm still sending them!
I'm not saying we should forget about what happened, but do you think after December 7, 1941, there was a merchandising blitz, people selling anything that said "Pearl Harbor" on it? Probably not. It's just our society today and the way the media and entertainment feeds it, and it's sad.
Thankfully, I've yet to see any "Tsunami 2004!" t-shirts or bumber stickers yet, and George W. Bush hasn't yet declared a war on underwater earthquakes, but I'm thinking it's just a matter of time.
Whew, end of rant.
Or maybe I did just dream up that John Mayer song. If so, my bad.

4 comments:

theghosher said...

Hey Trish!

While I agree with you that (celebrity is as celebrity does.. just kidding), that celebrites should just shut their pieholes and act and stop forcing their views down our throats (even if what they support is worthy) and I'm talking to you Richard fricken Gere... I don't think that John Mayer had anything to do with the Tsunami bits placed in his songs... most of the time, that sort of thing comes from some self-important DJ doing his very special "96.9 mix" to go out to all his listeners. Remember how they did that with Titanic and that god damn Celine Dion song... yeah, that sucked. So your anger at John Mayer, even if you hated him anyway, may be a bit misplaced.

Love ya!
Ghosher

Little Silver Stars said...

Hey Ghosh! How's Ohio treating you??
Yeah, I had a feeling that the John Mayer song might be some sort of special DJ re-mix. Ugh, those are the worst. I remember that "Titanic" one, but do you remember that awful "Secret Garden" song by Springsteen with clips from "Jerry Maguire" added in???? Yikes. Enough to make me drive off a cliff.
Peace out, G.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I don't think mixing the song with tsunami news clips is a Mayer-approved choice. The lyrics to that damn song are a disaster in their own right.

-Matt (hi Trish!)

Little Silver Stars said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.